- Read the Coastal Connections' article Hearts of the Dulcimer -- a film by two Pacificians.
- October 27, 2013 Hearts of the Dulcimer will be screening at the Pedro Point Firehouse in Pacifica, CA
- September 21, 2013 Hearts of the Dulcimer will be screening at the Memphis Dulcimer & Folk Gathering
- Interested in holding a screening of Hearts of the Dulcimer in a large or small venue? Contact us!
- Free download Hearts of the Dulcimer posters: http://bit.ly/HOTDposter1 and http://bit.ly/HOTDposter2
a passionate journey of the mountain dulcimer
HEARTS OF THE DULCIMER is a feature-length documentary film about the mountain dulcimer boom in the 1970s in California and its lasting impact. Through colorful interviews, rare archival footage, and live performances, HEARTS OF THE DULCIMER gives a firsthand account of living life in the counterculture, following one's passion, and playing and building mountain dulcimers.
The mountain dulcimer originated in the Shenandoah Valley/Southern Appalachian region of the United States around the turn of the 19th century. In the late 1960s, the mountain dulcimer found its way into the California counterculture. It enjoyed a revival in the 1970s and early 1980s, particularly in the Santa Cruz Mountains. To many people, the mountain dulcimer represented something different from mainstream, materialistic, industrial America. Its rustic elegance appealed to those who were part of the counterculture.
Breaking from tradition, the mountain dulcimer went through a transformation in both sound and shape in California. The small, quiet instrument became bigger and louder, and players adopted new genres for the instrument ranging from classical to jazz to rock.
HEARTS OF THE DULCIMER tells the story of the rise and fall (and potential comeback) of the mountain dulcimer in California, illustrated by past and present musical performances, and players and builders reminiscing.
View the HD version on Vimeo (click on HD mode before playing)
Find out where to see Hearts of the Dulcimer by joining the mailing list.
Copyright © 2013, Hearts of the Dulcimer. All rights reserved.