Episode #024: A Mother’s Day Special Featuring Margaret Wright and Cassandra Damper
Listen Now (Duration 36 min.)
For this Mother’s Day, we’d like to celebrate all mothers who play dulcimer. We especially appreciate the dulcimer mothers who teach dulcimer to their children and to others. To honor all dulcimer mothers, we’re presenting the heartwarming story of a special dulcimer mother: Margaret Wright and her daughter Cassandra Damper.
• Bonaparte Crossing the Alps - from The Family Album The Wright Family Plays Old Time Music (2000)
• Shenandoah Falls - Cassandra Damper and Margaret Wright (2014)
• Handsome Molly - from The Family Album The Wright Family Plays Old Time Music (2000)
• Sweet Hour of Prayer - from The Old Country Church Gospel and Sacred Harp Songs The Wright Family and Friends (2003)
• Suzanna Gal - Cassandra Damper and April Wright (2016)
• Fisher’s Hornpipe - from The Family Album The Wright Family Plays Old Time Music (2000)
Cassandra, Margaret, and Jerry Wright attending the North Harris County Dulcimer Society Christmas Party (2014)
Left -- Cassandra in 3rd grade at a school concert. Right -- Cassandra and Margaret at a banquet when Cassandra won the "Yes I Can" award at Brady's Landing.
Margaret and Cassandra hanging out in Houston, TX (2016)
Cassandra and Margaret in Glen Rose, TX after her 1st place win in the State Dulcimer competition (2016)
Cassandra and Margaret in Houston at the Bayou City Music Festival (2013)
Margaret and Cassandra at Winfield after Cassandra's 2nd place win in the National Dulcimer Championship competition (2016)
Jerry Wright talks about the Palestine Old Time Music and Dulcimer Festival