Episode #056: Early Music and the Mountain Dulcimer
Listen Now (Duration 34 min.)
In this episode we’re exploring Early Music on the mountain dulcimer. Although the mountain dulcimer didn’t exist until centuries after the Early Music time frame, its tonality fits perfectly with the temperament of Early Music. With music from Howie Mitchell, Holly Tannen, and Jessica Comeau.
• Quant voi la fleur from Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage
• Nonesuch from Golden Ring: A Gathering of Friends for Making Music
• Never Weather-Beaten Sail (Thomas Campion) Holly Tannen recorded this tune especially for this episode.
• Malpas Wassail from Between Two Worlds
• Douce Dame Jolie from Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage
• In Paradisum from Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage
• Angelic Salutation from Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage
• Cantiga #1 from Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage
• The Ranger from Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage
• Annika’s Dance from Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage
Website Resource Links:
Holly Tannen's Homepage
Jessica Comeau's Homepage
Between the Worlds - Holly Tannen
Songs of the Earthly Pilgrimage - Jessica Comeau
Cantigas de Santa Maria: A Selection of Medieval Songs for Mountain Dulcimer - Jessica Comeau
Holly Tannen, 2022 in Mendocino, CA.
Our interview with Holly Tannen, 2021.
Our interview with Jessica Comeau, 2022.